Did you know that smart snacking can actually help you lose weight? The trick is to choose the right kinds of snacks. Healthy snacks can keep you from getting too hungry between meals—and from going overboard when it’s time to eat.
Follow these healthy-snack guidelines:
* Keep your snack under 150 calories.
* Fill up on fruits and vegetables—they make you feel full and are filled with nutrients without a lot of calories.
* Go for whole-grain snacks for energy with staying power—whole-grain crackers, pretzels and crispbreads.
* Grab a small handful of nuts or seeds. They provide protein to make you feel full longer, and they’re full of healthy fats. Just don’t eat too many.
* Try low-fat dairy foods like cheese and yogurt for calcium and protein. (Some yogurts have a lot of sugar, so look for plain or low-sugar varieties.)